While my vocation as a fashion designer and owner of Mia Brazilia requires me to travel extensively, I always insist on setting aside a few weeks every year for another passion of mine: travel. Like millions of other Americans, travel excursions present a wonderful opportunity for you to decompress from the demands of everyday life and discover inspiration from your novel, unfamiliar surroundings. With Spring Break right around the corner, now is the time to prepare in advance for a Spring Break destination that will leave you and your loved ones refreshed and rejuvenated. The following five, Spring Break family destinations each offer rewarding experiences that will afford you with pleasant, lasting memories.
- For those families who enjoy traversing theme parks, Orlando offers a cornucopia of delectable, entertainment options. DisneyWorld is the most familiar of Orlando’s parks with its wide array of amusement rides, restaurants, and shows. Universal Studios Florida and Sea World Orlando are all-day, popular alternative to all-things Disney for children and adults alike. Beautiful, pristine beaches along the Atlantic and Gulf Coast Florida coastlines are only a 90 minute journey from Orlando if you prefer a quiet, Spring Break repose from the hurly-burly of Disney.
2.) Grand Canyon
- Even the most ardent cynic will be left speechless upon walking up to the South Rim viewpoint and casting his/her first gaze upon Mother Earth’s greatest, crowning achievement, the Grand Canyon. A rich array of promontories and hikes provide ideal panoramas for the photography and nature enthusiast. Accompany your family to the iconic, Grand Canyon Lodge for an early breakfast, while mesmerized by the brilliant, pinkish-orange-red hues of a Grand Canyon sunrise. While many families make the Grand Canyon destination for the once-in-a-lifetime, whitewater rafting experience down the Colorado River, be aware that reservations for these rafting sojourns are often booked out over one year in advance.
3.) Washington D.C.
- A Spring Break trip to Washington D.C. is awe-inspiring and educational for both child and adult alike. Our nation’s capital is well-suited for any family to put on their running shoes and comfortably reach the most-visited sites by foot. Starting your destination trip to D.C. with a family walk across the cavernous Smithsonian Mall to admire our nation’s monuments and memorials is an immediate and unmistakeable way for children to gain reverence for the colorful and consequential history of the United States. Visiting the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House, US Capitol, Korean and Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and Jefferson Memorial are humbling experiences for any citizen of this wonderful country. Family walks through trendy, historic neighborhoods including Georgetown, Adams-Morgan, and DuPont Circle make for ideal escapes off-the-beaten, tourist trail.
- A Spring Break Family Trip to Hawaii conjures up images of glorious sun, freshly-cut pineapple, and miles of splashy beaches. My family and I have never tired of returning to the Hawaiian islands for recovery, rest, and relaxation with its myriad day trip excursions. While it is recommended for first-timers to visit Waikiki on Oahu and take in all of the tourist trappings of Honolulu, any Hawaiian visit is incomplete without island-hopping to the other islands including Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. Take a tour of the spectacular Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island and walk along trails remade by molten lava flows. Journey across the interior of the island of Maui to witness Haleakala National Park and its impressive crater and canyons. Trek to Kauai with the children to tackle the arduous, yet rewarding Na Pali Coast trail, the setting for the Jurassic Park movies. What family trip to Hawaii is complete without a farewell luau on the beach under the canopy of a Hawaiian sunset?
5.) San Diego
- Ok, I might be a bit partial here in self-promoting the hometown city of Mia Brazilia. However, this beautiful city I love to call “home,” is called “America’s Vacation City” for a reason. As far as Spring Break destinations are concerned, San Diego is unrivaled in my opinion. Postcard-perfect beaches and weather await to begin with. Families will love the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park with its maze of museums, Sea World, LegoLand, and Old Town. Quaint, historic neighborhoods including Coronado, Gaslamp Quarter, La Jolla, and Hillcrest all provide a rich menagerie of shopping and culinary treats for parents and children. The more ambitious can even venture up the coastline for a day-trip to Disneyland in Orange County. Harbor cruises that navigate San Diego Bay offer a unique vantage point to gaze upon the lovely San Diego skyline.
Whether your family’s Spring Break preference leans toward the tropical, the historic, or the amusement park, these five, popular destinations for Spring Break each in their own way promises a memorable experience for all involved. Orlando, Grand Canyon, Washington, D.C., Hawaii, and San Diego are idyllic Spring Break destinations for the family. Make that family reservation for Spring Break and create a new, family photo album for 2019!